Whether you’re a last minute shopper, or already getting ready for next year, there are many ways to save on back to school supply shopping. Consider trying some of our favourites to get your kids ready for the new school year without breaking the bank.
- Re-use: Before you head out to shop for new supplies, take stock of what you have left from the previous school year that can be re-used.
- Watch flyers: Review flyers ahead of time to find the best prices. Some stores will match prices, so have the ads handy when you are shopping to ensure you are getting the best prices without all of the running around.
- Buy in advance: Buy items after school has started to take advantage of clearance sales. Hold on to these supplies for use throughout the year, and for the next year.
- Let your children do the shopping: Consider keeping a school supply bin at home that is stocked with items your children will need to replenish throughout the year. When your children need something, they can simply “shop” from the bin instead of having to make last minute trips to the store.
- Exchange supplies with a friend or two: Chances are good that you’ll have some extra supplies hanging around with no way to use everything. Ask friends and family with children if they are open to trading their extra supplies for yours.
- Check the dollar store: Discount or dollar stores can be a great place to find inexpensive school supplies, so be sure to add them to your shopping trip!